Working Step One
We admitted we were powerless over Alienation – that our lives had become unmanageable.
Each of us is free to create our own solutions using the experience, strength, and hope of those who have gone before us. The following questions for self-study or group study may help you with Step One. As you work each Step, remember to appreciate yourself for the effort. Call a friend or Sponsor and share your success, too.
- Do I accept that I cannot control another person’s alienation? Another person’s behavior?
- How do I recognize that the alienator is an individual with habits, characteristics and ways of reacting to daily happenings that are different from mine?
- Do I accept that alienation is a disease? How does that change how I deal with an alienator?
- How have I tried to change others in my life? What were the consequences?
- What means have I used to get what I want and need? What might work better to get my needs met?
- How do I feel when the alienator refuses to be and do what I want? How do I respond?
- What would happen if I stopped trying to change the alienator or anyone else?
- How can I let go of others’ problems instead of trying to solve them?
- Am I looking for a quick ﬁx to my problems? Is there one?
- In what situations do I feel excessive responsibility for other people
- In what situations do I feel shame or embarrassment for someone else’s behavior?
- What brought me into PA-A? What did I hope to gain at that time? How have my expectations
- Who has expressed concern about my behavior? My health? My children? Give examples.
- How do I know when my life is unmanageable?
- How have I sought approval and afﬁrmation from others?
- Do I say “yes” when I want to say “no”? What happens to my ability to manage my life when I do this?
- Do I take care of others easily, but ﬁnd it difﬁcult to care for myself?
- How do I feel when life is going smoothly? Do I continually anticipate problems? Do I feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
- How well do I take care of myself?
- How do I feel when I am alone?
- What is the difference between pity and love?
- Am I attracted to alienators and other people who seem to need me to ﬁx them? How have I tried to fix them?
- Do I trust my own feelings? Do I know what they are?