PA-A LEADERS INFORMATION AND DUTIES
- Leaders are a weekly volunteer commitment. Some leaders might be on a regular schedule like…. first Monday of the month.
It can be scary and daunting to lead your first meeting. It was that way for many of us. Here is a link to find the leader script for your particular meeting. The scripts are very simple, please review the script before the meeting there will be a couple of places you need to paste some items in the chat. (if this feels overwhelming ask the secretary to help out the first couple of leads)
-It is suggested to bring the script up on your phone. This way you can read the script from your phone and still keep your main screen up on your computer.
-It is also suggested to cut and paste the serenity prayer in the chat (wait until the meeting starts to share what you put in the chat) and the additional prompt keep on your clipboard. This will save you a bunch of time and make the process much more simple for you.
OUTLINE FOR LEADING A MEETING
YOU AS THE LEADER SET THE TONE FOR THE MEETING. PLEASE SHARE WHAT IT WAS LIKE AS A NEWCOMER FOR A MINUTE OR SO. WHAT GOING ON IN YOUR LIFE FOR ROUGHLY 2 MINUTES. THEN A COUPLE MINUTES ON YOUR RECOVERY AND WHAT IS CHANGING IN YOUR LIFE. IT’S REALLY IMPORTANT FOR THE NEWCOMERS TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.
- Leader announces the start of the meeting and then starts reading the leader script which is supplied by the secretary.
- Leader stays on script as it’s important to have consistency and continuity from meeting to meeting. Please do not share any of your story until it is your time to share after the secretary announcements.
- It is recommended that the leader reviews the step and related PA literature, paths to recovery or any other Al-Anon literature. This is done in order to prepare for the meeting. Goggle is great to prepare a little deeper on any topic if desired.
- The leader will share their experience with PA (what it was like as a new comer and some relevant parts of their stories) Strength (what they are doing or have done to resource themselves) Hope (what is their hope for their future). The leader is the most important person as they set the tone and context for the meeting.
- The leader calls on folks to share. (the secretary will support the leader if it is hard to track all the hands raised).
- The leader has a prompt question ready for the 2nd round of sharing if time permits. The question will pertain to the meeting topic/step.You can access all the steps and related questions FROM THIS LINK. Please cut and paste the question when ready.
- If all shares are complete before the full meeting time is allotted the leader can choose to close the meeting early and go to fellowship time.
- We close the meetings 1 hour and 10 minutes after they start (70 minutes total). If not all the people have shared they will get an opportunity during fellowship to share if they like.